Jun 21, 2018
Affiliation: School of Arts & Letters
DEPARTMENTAL HONORS IN ROMANCE LANGUAGE
- 3.75 minimum GPA in the ROML major AND minimum overall cumulative GPA of 3.5.
- Excellence in the Capstone, or, for students in ROML 490, strong process in the Capstone as verified by Capstone mentor.
- Study abroad in the ROML major OR take one extra 300-level (or higher) course in Latin or in a Romance Language.
Liberal Studies Program Requirements: 31-57 Credits
Missouri Statute Requirement: 1-3 Credits
Bachelor of Arts Requirement: 0-6 Credits
Intermediate proficiency in ONE foreign language, which is satisfied by completing the “Required Support” courses in Part I below.
The Romance Language major consists of two (2) parts: Required Support and Major Requirements. Each student must complete both parts. We strongly recommend that a student have advanced proficiency in one Romance language before entering the program.
Part I: Required Support: 0-27 Credits
Part II: Major Requirements: 35 Credits
A grade of “C” or better in all courses for the major.
AND one additional course from the list below:
AND one of the two courses below:
AND electives: 9 Credits
Choose 6 credits from one of these languages: Spanish, Latin, or French as indicated below:
- Any 300-level or higher Latin courses
Additional 3 Credits
Choose 3 credits from:
Electives to Total: 120 Credits
- No Romance Language course may be used twice to satisfy major requirements.
- Spanish majors who double major with the Romance Language major may use SPAN 330 and SPAN 340 to fulfill Romance Language major requirements, but must complete the remainder of the Romance Language major using courses that were not used to fulfill Spanish major requirements. French majors who double major with Romance Language may use FREN 320 and FREN 325 to fulfill Romance Language major requirements, but must complete the remainder of the Romance Language major using courses that are not used to fulfill French major requirements. Likewise, Classics majors who double major with the Romance Language major may use no more than six credits of coursework from their Classics major to complete Romance Language major requirements.
- Romance Language majors who wish to earn a minor in Classical Studies, French, Italian Studies, Latin, or Spanish may not use courses used to fulfill major requirements toward the minor. Fifteen additional credits of approved minor coursework are required.
- Romance Language majors are encouraged to satisfy the “Intercultural Perspective” requirement of the LSP with a course related to the major, such as a Latin American history or civilization course (HIST 390, HIST 391, HIST 392, SPAN 363), an Italian civilization course (ITAL 324, ITAL 325), an African history course (HIST 151, HIST 152, HIST 371, HIST 372, HIST 373), or a Classical civilization course (CLAS 362, CLAS 363).
- With approval of the Romance Language faculty, Romance Language majors may substitute either the Spanish or French courses listed above with equivalent offerings in Italian, Latin or Portuguese pursued in study at Truman and in study abroad programs.