Feb 22, 2024
Affiliation: School of Arts & Letters
Degrees Offered: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Music
Minor Offered: Music, Jazz Studies
The objectives of the music discipline are as follows:
• To provide programs of study of the highest quality which will enable each student to realize his/her maximum, innate scholarly and creative potential.
• To inculcate in students in all degree programs an understanding of the broad historical and cultural foundations of the art and science of music, and to encourage them to incorporate into their own lives the knowledge and aesthetic appreciation acquired through this experience.
• To prepare students for graduate study and for professional careers in music.
• To make available to the general University student opportunities for academic and creative development through instruction in humanities/general education courses and through participation in ensembles.
• To offer all members of the University community and citizens of the region and the state of Missouri cultural enrichment through the presentation of solo and ensemble performances of the highest professional caliber.
Required Courses: 11 Credit Hours
NOTE: A total of 6 credits must be completed in MUSI 147 Ensemble: Jazz Ensemble, MUSI 147 Ensemble: Jazz Lab, and/or MUSI 147 Ensemble: Jazz Combo. A total of 2 credits must be completed in MUSI 333 Jazz Improvisation.
AND choose 4 hours from the following:
- MUSI xxx - Applied Music Credits: 3 hours
Music majors wanting to receive the Jazz Studies Minor may not count courses toward their major as applying to the minor. Fifteen additional hours beyond the major are required. Students pursuing a Music Minor as well as a Minor in Jazz Studies may have no more than four credits applied to both minors.
*Before enrolling in private lessons as a Jazz Studies Minor for the first time, a student must demonstrate a minimum proficiency level by auditioning for the appropriate studio teacher(s). Enrollment in private lessons is contingent upon availability within the studio and is at the discretion of the studio teacher(s). The studio teacher(s) may request the student complete MUSI 130 Music Analysis I and/or MUSI 132 Aural Skills in Music I prior to enrolling in private lessons.
Acceptance into the Minor in Jazz Studies will be by audition with the Director of Jazz Studies.