Jul 24, 2024  
2009-2010 General/Graduate Catalog - Expires August 2015 
2009-2010 General/Graduate Catalog - Expires August 2015 [Archived Catalog]

Student Services

Click on a link to be taken to the entry below.



Academic Advising and Support Services

Advising is a cooperative process that assists students in developing an educational plan consistent with their life goals and with the liberal arts and sciences mission of the University. Advising is a shared responsibility between students and advisors. It empowers students by helping them develop skills in planning, decision-making, and self-understanding. Ultimately, advising fosters students’ growth as lifelong learners.

Academic Support Services

The full-time professional advisors in the New Student Programs also provide instructional and academic support services. They assist with such administrative tasks as freshmen summer registration and Truman Week, and they provide informational workshops on the LSP to new faculty and students. For students within the residence halls, the New Student Programs academic advisors offer student developmental, academic skill, and liberal arts career programming. These New Student Programs advisors also maintain liaisons with the academic programs and other key administrative offices, such as Student Affairs, Multicultural Affairs, and the International Student Affairs Office. The intention of these connections is to provide systematic support for the academic, career, and personal needs of Truman students.


During the summer before the first semester of enrollment, each student is assigned an advisor. All entering students work with a professional academic advisor within the New Student Programs. The New Student Programs advisors also work closely with faculty in the disciplines to provide guidance to declared majors.

Upperclassmen who have not chosen a major (“undeclared” students) continue to receive their academic advising from the professional advisors on staff in the New Student Programs. Those upperclass students who have declared a major typically have a faculty member who assists them with academic and career planning issues throughout the remainder of their Truman careers. Exceptions are sophomore psychology and pre-Business and pre-Accountancy majors who continue to work with professional advisors in the New Student Programs.

This advising assistance does not relieve the student of the personal responsibility to study the General Catalog and fulfill the requirements of the chosen degree; however, it does provide the student with a valuable resource for answering questions concerning courses, majors, and educational plans beyond the bachelor’s degree.

Student Affairs


Student Affairs is responsible for the administration of a variety of facilities, services, and activities designed to enhance the out-of-class experiences of students. Student Affairs programs and services include Campus Recreation, Center for Student Involvement, Greek Life, ID Office, Leadership Development and Student Activities, Multicultural Affairs, Office of Citizenship and Community Standards, Residence Life, SERVE Center, Student Health Center, Student Union, University Career Center, University Counseling Services, and the Women’s Resource Center.

In addition to serving as advocates for student needs, Student Affairs contributes to the liberal arts and sciences culture of Truman State University through emphasizing the holistic development of students. Through services, activities, and programming, Student Affairs offers students opportunities to connect with Truman and the surrounding community; explore cultural and other forms of human diversity; demonstrate intellectual competence and reflective judgment; practice habits that promote physical, emotional, social and spiritual well-being; and develop skills of effective leadership and responsible citizenship.

The Student Affairs Office is located in 3100 Student Union Building, phone (660) 785-4111, or online at http://saffairs.truman.edu.

Campus Recreation


Campus Recreation provides programs, facilities, and services for enhancing the health and well being of students, faculty, and staff. The Fitness/Wellness Program offers wellness workshops, personal training, and a myriad of noncredit classes from step aerobics to martial arts and dance. Intramural Recreational Sports sponsors healthy competition in individual and team sport activities. The Student Recreation Center contains many areas for self-directed activities: three-court hardwood floor gym, jogging track, aerobics/dance studio, auxiliary gym with multipurpose floor, and a weight room and fitness areas filled with exercise equipment. The Student Recreation Center is an auxiliary operation supported primarily by student fees. For more information call (660)785-4847.

Career Center


The Career Center, located in the McKinney Center, assists students and alumni in exploring career paths compatible with individual skills, personality, interests and values, and helps them in investigating internships, full-time employment, and graduate school possibilities.

The Career Center coordinates campus interviews, sponsors career fairs, posts job opportunity listings, and offers workshops on career planning, job search, and graduate school admission topics. An extensive career resource library provides students with information on an array of career-related topics. Staff are available for individualized assistance ranging from critiquing résumés to conducting mock interviews.

Center for Student Involvement


The Center for Student Involvement (CSI) is responsible for large scale campus-wide programming, student organization development and services, leadership development opportunities and recognition programs at Truman State University. CSI strives to promote and provide quality programs, services and resources that enhance students’ out of classroom experiences. The professional staff works to build a supportive environment in which all students can develop stronger transferable skills through our various programs and leadership opportunities. CSI programs and resources offer students the ability to:

  1. Take part in experiences that lead to a holistic and healthy lifestyle
  2. Become engaged in and develop a sense of commitment to the campus and local communities
  3. Reflect upon the quality and critical transferable skills gained from participating in co-curricular experiences.

In addition to programmatic offerings, CSI also advises the Homecoming Committee, First Year Activities Coordinating Team, SERVE Center, Women’s Resource Center and the three fee based organizations. To learn more, please visit http://csi.truman.edu.

Department of Public Safety


Mission Statement

The Truman State Department of Public Safety will provide a safe, secure, and orderly learning and living environment for students, faculty, staff and visitors and establish a partnership with the University community to protect life, property, and the rights and dignity of all individuals.

The Department of Public Safety is the campus police department, which protects the property and preserves the peace and good order on the campus. The Department of Public Safety staff serves the campus 24-hours-a-day, 365-days-a-year, providing both emergency and non-emergency assistance to students, employees, and visitors.

The Department of Public Safety consists of the University Police Department, Parking Services and State Fleet Transportation Department. The University Police provides both emergency and non-emergency assistance to the University community. The Department offers escort services, houses the central lost and found, provides safekeeping for firearms and provides crime prevention programs, including rape aggression defense. The Department encourages everyone to report crimes that occur on campus to the University Police Department. For more information regarding the Department of Public Safety, visit the web page http://police.truman.edu. The Public Safety Building is located on the corner of Normal and Franklin Street.

Emergency: 911
Central Dispatch (non-emergency): (660) 665-5621
Department of Public Safety: (660) 785-4176
Web site: http://police.truman.edu

Disability Services


Access to Services and Accommodations through the Disability Services Office

The Disability Services Office (DSO) at Truman State University is here to assist any student with a disability to transition and matriculate through courses at the university level. The following framework is intended to assist students, parents and other interested parties in the process of gaining access to services at the post-secondary level.

An individual is covered under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act when the individual has an impairment that substantially limits a major life activity. The ADA defines a person with a disability as someone who (a) has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits that person in one or more major life activities (such as walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, performing manual tasks and caring for oneself), (b) has a record of such impairment or (c) is regarded as having such an impairment. In an educational setting these may include but are not limited to reading, writing, note taking, listening, seeing, test taking, performing manual/motor-based skills, class attendance, or participation in laboratory activities. 

Unlike K-12 schools,  it is the student’s responsibility to self–disclose the disability and provide adequate documentation to the DSO. The student is also responsible for requesting accommodations in a timely manner and abiding by the accommodation procedures agreed upon with the DSO.

Truman State University and the DSO are responsible for providing an opportunity for the student’s educational success. At the post-secondary level, accommodations are customized for each student to the extent that the specific impact of the disability is appropriately accommodated. To determine the eligibility for services that provide equal access to educational activities, a three part assessment is utilized. This assessment process requires: 1) documentation of the disability, 2) an accommodation history, and 3) an intake process with the DSO.

Disability Documentation

Students must provide written documentation of any current disability that limits one or more life activities. The documentation should contain the following information:

  1. Verification of the nature and extent of the disability in accordance with current professional standards.
  2. A complete disclosure of any testing measurement tools/scores, prepared by a licensed clinical or educational professional familiar with the history and functional implications of the disability. The report should use adult scales and be current (usually within the last three years). The report should be typed on professional office letterhead, dated and signed. 
  3. Evidence of a current impairment as well as an historical review as appropriate.
  4. A link between functional limitation(s) and specific accommodation requests, based on formal and informal assessment and testing. The impact of the disability on a post-secondary setting should be included when possible. Evidence of a correlation between the assessment and the needed accommodation should be provided. 
  5. In the case of multiple disorders, documentation for each area is required and must be relevant to the requested accommodation(s).

Accommodation History

Although a copy of an IEP or 504 Plan are not essential, they can be helpful in determining accommodations that made a positive difference in the student’s high school education. Many services provided in high school will be continued at the post-secondary level. Please be aware that due to the differences between the Individuals with Disabilities Education ACT (IDEA) and the ADA, some of the accommodations previously granted to a student may no longer be available to that student in a post-secondary situation. An example of this would be modified assignments.

If a student requests an accommodation in a post-secondary setting that was not utilized in high school, supporting documentation needs to be clear in substantiating this need. Many times this has come about with new testing or testing recently completed on an adult scale.

Food Service


Cafeterias which serve the residence halls are open to all students, faculty, and staff. Off-campus meal plans are available to students who do not live in University housing and may be purchased at the Cashier’s window of the Business Office. Students who live in residence halls are issued a student photo identification card which they must bring with them to each meal. Students living in the residence halls and the Campbell and Randolph apartments have the option of a 210 block meal plan with 50 dining dollars, a 165 block meal plan with 100 dining dollars, 140 block meal plan with 150 dining dollars, or 750 dining dollars. The dining dollars include a designated amount of additional funds that can be used during designated times and Sunday evenings at Mainstreet Market, Jazzman’s, Freshens, and the Convenience Stores to purchase additional food, or in the Residence Halls for meals outside of their chosen meal plan.

Transferability is available in the Mainstreet Market in the Student Union and the Convenience Stores for persons holding meal cards. Credit allowances and hours are posted in the Market. A variety of fast-food type products as well as conventional entrees are available to everyone at a reasonable charge. Also available to all students, faculty and staff is a declining balance program called Bonus Bucks. Bonus Bucks may be purchased from the Food Service Office in increments of $25. Bonus Bucks can be used in the residence hall cafeterias, in Mainstreet Market of the Student Union Building, or at the Convenience Stores.

Student Health Services


The Student Health Center, located mid-campus in the McKinney Center, is staffed by a physician, nurse practitioners, registered nurses, and a medical secretary. The Center is open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. when classes are in session. Visits to the clinic are on an appointment basis or through regularly scheduled walk-in clinics. Students are charged a nominal fee for physicals, laboratory testing, allergy injections, and for most medications dispensed or treatments performed.

All incoming students are required to submit a confidential medical history which includes proof of immunizations. Students who do not provide the required information will be blocked from class registration for the following semester. Students requesting a waiver from the immunization policy for medical or religious reasons must have titers performed. In the event of a disease outbreak, any student who is not immune by titer or proof of immunization may be required to leave campus due to state regulations.

International Student Affairs Office


The International Student Affairs Office (ISAO) promotes diversity on campus through the recruitment and support of international students and scholars. The ISAO provides services, including recruitment, admissions, orientation, immigration counseling, advising and programming to assist international students in their adjustment to the American academic system and American culture.

For more information, contact the International Student Affairs Office, Kirk Building 120. Phone: (660) 785-4215; Fax: (660) 785-5395; E-mail: intladmit@truman.edu. For online information, read the ISAO website at http://iso.truman.edu.

Multicultural Affairs


The mission of the Multicultural Affairs Center is twofold. First, by focusing on recruiting, supporting and retaining students of color (African-American, Native American, Asian American and Latino), the Center helps these students make the academic, social, and personal transition from high school to college and become active and successful throughout their Truman career. Just as important, the Center’s creative and thought-provoking programming seeks to create a pluralistic and integrated University environment and to foster understanding among the diverse populations of the Truman community.

Multicultural Affairs sponsors a wide variety of exciting programs. Examples of academic programming include the Scholastic Enhancement Experience (SEE) Scholars Program; our ongoing collaboration with the Ronald E. McNair Post-Baccalaureate Achievement Program; and Directions, an orientation program for freshmen from underrepresented populations. In addition, Multicultural Affairs sponsors a tutoring program, study halls, and a peer mentoring program. The department also sponsors programming to encourage a campus-wide understanding and appreciation of diversity. These include Montage, the annual Truman Week program; Unity, the campus celebration of Dr. Martin Luther King; and heritage month activities spread throughout the year.

Parking Services


All vehicles parked in University parking lots are required to obtain and properly display a valid permit. Parking decals are sold at the Cashier’s Office in McClain Hall or at the Department of Public Safety, hours M-F 8:00am-2:30pm. Students and employees must have their license plate numbers and vehicle information when they register their vehicles. Visitors are requested to stop by the Department of Public Safety building and obtain a visitor parking permit. There is no charge for visitor permits.

The regulations pertain to all vehicles, including, but not limited to, motorcycles, motor scooters, mopeds, trucks, automobiles, and buses. A campus map with Parking and Traffic Regulations may be picked up any time at the Public Safety building or the Cashier’s Window or may be viewed on our Web page, http://police.truman.edu.

Students and faculty/staff who own, maintain or operate motor vehicles on the University campus are responsible for violations regardless of whether or not that individual had possession or was operating the motor vehicle at the time of the violation. It is the responsibility of the owner to advise any driver of University rules and regulations. Lack of space is not an acceptable excuse for violation of any parking regulation.

Parking decals remain the property of the University and are issued to park in designated areas. Parking decals serve as permission to park and do NOT guarantee a parking space close in proximity. Decals are NOT transferable from one vehicle to another.

Students have one week from the first day of the fall and spring semesters to register vehicles. After the initial registration period, a vehicle must be registered within 48 hours from the time it is brought to the University.

All vehicles in University parking lots must have up-to-date registration and should be operational. In the event that a vehicle becomes disabled, please notify the Department of Public Safety at (660) 785-4176.

Residence Life


Residence Life oversees eight residence halls and three apartment complexes, all with modern living facilities and located within easy walking distance of the academic buildings. The residence halls range in size from 68 to 700 residents. Approximately 70 percent of the rooms are two-person, with the remaining rooms housing three or four students. Upper-level students have the option to live in University apartments. These apartments are furnished, with utilities paid, and offer an optional meal plan through Food Service. Based on their preferences, students in the residence halls may choose from such options as single-sex wings or co-ed living arrangements, and large or small buildings. A sorority-defined community is also located on campus.

Professionally-trained, full-time live-in Hall Directors, Community Coordinators, and Student Advisors work in the on-campus residences to assist students in adjusting to college life. The Residence Life staff employs a student developmental model to help students mature in their interpersonal skills, in balancing independence and communal responsibility, and in establishing their self-direction and life-goals. Numerous social, recreational, or competitive leisure activities and opportunities for peer leadership also exist in the residence halls. Residence Life has web-based resources that outline the policies, services, and building information for all of the residential facilities on campus. Specific housing information is distributed to first-year students at the time of their room placement; upper-level residents may obtain updates via their e-mail account, by checking the website http://reslife.truman.edu/, or at the Residence Life Office.

Student Identification Cards


The Truman ID card serves as a multipurpose identification card, library card, meal card (when a meal plan has been purchased), and laundry debit card (when cash value is added to the card). The card may also serve as an ATM/Debit card when the cardholder has a U.S. Bank checking account and the card is activated. The Truman ID Card Office is located in SUB Suite 2000. The hours of operation are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-4:45 p.m.

The ID cards are non-transferable and University property. As such, forgery, alteration, or misuse may result in disciplinary or monetary sanctions. The ID card should be carried at all times while on campus property to identify oneself when requested.

A $20.00 replacement fee is charged for lost and stolen cards. (The ID Office accepts checks or charges to your student account. Go to the University Cashier to pay with cash or debit/credit card). A lost or stolen card should be reported to the ID Office, SUB Suite 2000, (660) 785-4123. After office hours, a lost or stolen ID card should be reported to the Department of Public Safety, (660) 785-4176. If your Truman ID card has been lost or stolen and it has been activated to act as your U.S. Bank ATM/Debit card, notify U.S. Bank immediately at 1-800-872-2657.

Student Success Center


Located on the first floor of Kirk Building, the Truman Student Success Center is a multi-faceted peer academic support program that provides the Truman community with a range of programs and services designed to enhance both individual learning and in-class performance. It provides tutoring services (individual, group, online) in a variety of courses, Supplemental Instruction (collaborative group study for specific courses), TruMentoring (peer mentoring), and TruSuccess Workshops (learning and study skills workshops). See the website for more information at http://successcenter.truman.edu.

Student Union


The Student Union Building serves as a community center for Truman State University. Affectionately nicknamed “the SUB,” the Union fulfills its community role by supporting programs, meetings, and providing opportunities for dining, relaxation and personal development. The SUB administrative office located off the main lounge (2000) serves as the nerve center for the Union. The SUB provides services ranging from the scheduling of events to reserving publicity tables. The SUB also plays host to many services essential to student success. A wide variety of food service is available in the Union. Mainstreet Market Place is located on the main floor and provides a wide variety of dining choices. The Union also includes a coffee shop and smoothie stand on the main floor. The Information Center is located in the main concourse of the Student Union Building across from Mainstreet. Its staff provides directions, information and answers to a variety of questions concerning campus and the local area for students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Campus maps and various campus and area brochures are available here. Also, you may send or receive a fax, purchase stamps, or have copies made. The official Truman State University Bookstore is located on the lower level of the SUB. The lower level also includes the Center for Student Involvement (CSI), which is responsible for supporting campus programming, the more than 200 student organizations, and student leadership. Also located within the Union are the offices for: the Dean of Student Affairs, the ID Office, Student Senate, Student Activities Board, Funds Allotment Council, and the SERVE Center. The SUB recently underwent a major renovation to improve service and support.

Testing Services


A number of services are available to students, prospective students, or community members through the Assessment and Testing Office. Various standardized tests are administered via paper and pencil-based or computer-based modes of testing. In most cases, results can be interpreted to the student by testing personnel. Tests administered include:

  1. Tests for college juniors and seniors as required by the University as part of the University Assessment Program.
  2. Undergraduate admissions tests serving local community needs: American College Testing Program (ACT)
  3. CLEP tests for course credit. (See the “Academic Policies and Procedures” and the “Transferring In and Testing Out” sections of this catalog.) A brochure explaining opportunities for credit by examination is available from the Registrar’s Office or on their website at http://registrar.truman.edu.
  4. National tests for admission to graduate and professional programs: Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT), Graduate Record Examination (GRE), Graduate Management Admissions Test (GMAT), Law School Admissions Test (LSAT), and the Miller Analogies Test (MAT).
  5. National and state tests for students and the community for evaluating proficiencies, licensing or certifying purposes: actuarial exams, the Praxis Series exams, the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), and Health Fitness Specialist (HFS) exam.
  6. Proctoring Services for online or correspondence exams.

University Counseling Services


University Counseling Services (UCS) provides confidential individual, group, and relationship counseling free of charge to all registered Truman students. In addition, the staff of UCS provides educational programming and consultation and referral services to the University community. For more information, please visit the UCS website at http://ucs.truman.edu.

Women’s Resource Center


The Women’s Resource Center (WRC) works to broaden the minds of students, faculty, administrators, and staff by providing programs, services, and facilities to meet the educational, personal, physical, and safety needs of women on campus. The Center’s staff seeks to encourage the development of self-awareness, self-esteem, and self-confidence, promoting leadership opportunities, and serve as a catalyst for change. Located in the Student Union Building, the WRC is unique because it was created by students, for students, and is run by students. For information call (660) 785-7224.

The Writing Center


The Writing Center, located in McClain Hall 303, provides the University community with a comfortable environment for writers to talk and write. Writing Consultants work with writers at all levels of competence, from all disciplines, at any stage of the writing process – inventing, drafting, revising, and editing – or for sharing ideas about writing strategies and techniques. The Center serves writers either by appointment or during walk-in hours without an appointment. For more information, call (660) 785-4484.