Sep 20, 2019  
2010-2011 General/Graduate Catalog - Expires August 2016 
    
2010-2011 General/Graduate Catalog - Expires August 2016 [Archived Catalog]

The Campus


THE CAMPUS

Carefully designed to preserve the natural beauty of the setting, the campus today provides for students, faculty, and staff a feeling of freedom combined with convenience and unity. The Truman campus maintains the advantages of a small university where students and faculty may interchange ideas informally and where academic resources are close at hand. Since the original purchase of the first ten acres on this site, the campus has expanded to over 150 acres with over 40 buildings. The older portion of the campus – the “quadrangle” situated around an open court – dates back to 1873. Even today, one leaps into the past of campus design when walking into the quadrangle, for the original Truman State University campus was based on Thomas Jefferson’s University of Virginia. While the later additions are contemporary in style, the campus buildings reflect similar aesthetic details of the Georgian style.

Pickler Memorial Library, on the western edge of the quadrangle, is named in honor of a former faculty member whose contribution made possible the erection of a library building after the original library was destroyed by fire in 1924. A 33,000-square foot air-conditioned library addition was completed in 1967, and in 1970-71 the original part of the library was remodeled. A five-year project, divided into two phases, to add new space and to remodel the existing buildings was completed in early 1993. This project was designed with flexibility in mind so that library services could easily be adapted to both current and future developments in technology. Located on the quadrangle side of the library is the beautiful Virginia Young Stanton Garden, which was dedicated in 1996.

Pickler Memorial Library currently has a book and media collection, including a U.S. Document Depository, that contains over a half million volumes. It is augmented by access to over 35,000 journals and periodicals and 1.5 million microforms. In addition to an expanding collection of books, periodicals, and microforms, and to an increasing number of online electronic information resources, the library contains several special collections donated by distinguished faculty and alumni. Along with our strong on-campus collections, the library is a member of the MOBIUS library system, which allows students and faculty to easily borrow library materials from over 60 Missouri academic institutions.  A learning commons has been established in the library.  Included are the ITS Service Center, Library Reference and the Writing Center.  In fall 2010 a cafe was opened. For more information on the library, visit http://library.truman.edu.

Magruder Hall, built in 1955, expanded in 1968, and remodeled and expanded again in 2005, provides excellent opportunity for the interchange of scientific knowledge. Four departments (Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) and the School of Sciences & Mathematics Office are housed in Magruder Hall. Research laboratories and preparation rooms, a greenhouse chamber, and other facilities in Magruder Hall provide students scholarly interaction and research opportunities with faculty members. The 2005 renovation brought the scientists into one facility with state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories, and technology.

Located on the southern edge of the quadrangle, the McKinney Center houses the University Career Center and the Student Health Center. Nearby is Kirk Memorial, which was dedicated in 1940 and honors John R. Kirk, president of Truman State University from 1899 to 1925. Directly in front of the building stand the Flame to the Second Century and the bronze statue of Joseph Baldwin, founder and first president of the University. The statue was dedicated in 1927 to mark the 100th anniversary of Baldwin’s birth. Immediately behind Kirk Memorial on the site of the old Baldwin Hall is the landscaped Sunken Garden graced by wooden gazebos at each end.

The Kirk Building, named in honor of Truman’s president at the turn of the 20th Century, houses the International Student Affairs Office, the Center for International Education, the Student Success Center, Upward Bound, Physical Plant, Publications, and New Student Programs.

The Ophelia Parrish building, home of the Art, Music, and Theatre Departments and the School of Arts and Letters Office, was at one time used as a demonstration elementary school. With renovation and expansion completed in 2002, it now contains offices, studios, classrooms, and the University Art Gallery. Included are the state-of-the-art Severns Theatre and beautiful Performance Hall.

Completing the quadrangle complex, the present Baldwin Hall, built in 1938 and expanded in 1958, currently houses the offices and classrooms of Military Science, the Truman Institute Office, and the Office of Student Research. Classrooms and faculty offices are located on the upper floors. The 1,400-seat Baldwin Auditorium located in Baldwin Hall hosts numerous speakers and performing artists throughout the year.

Just west of Baldwin Hall and linked by a walkway is McClain Hall. Completed in 1977, this building houses most major administrative offices; the Departments of Psychology, Political Science, History, English and Linguistics, Classical and Modern Languages, Economics, and Philosophy & Religion; and the School of Social and Cultural Studies Office. On the third floor, classrooms, a modern language laboratory, and Writing Center are ringed by faculty and administrative offices and seminar rooms. The biofeedback psychology complex on the second floor is a resource providing facilities for research and professional/student interaction. On the first floor of this building are faculty, academic support offices and ITS. The Information Technology Services Office provides centralized computing for large scale research, computer instruction, online information systems, and online interactive computing capability for all interested students, faculty, and staff. Truman is committed to maintaining a computer facility that is as close to state-of-the-art as feasible.

Across the Mall from McClain Hall and graced on the east by a large fountain and benches stands the Student Union Building, completed in 1967 and which received a major renovation that was completed in 2008. Devoted to student and University activities, this building contains both large and small dining rooms, a snack bar, the Truman Bookstore, “Mainstreet Market,” the “Down Under,” a dance and entertainment area, a large activity room, “The Hub”, a student lounge, and numerous meeting rooms.

West of McClain Hall is the Student Recreation Center, a modern facility that opened in 1998. It includes three basketball courts, a multipurpose court, an exercise and weight room, an aerobics studio, an indoor track, and more.

Violette Hall, completed in 1965 and located just south of the original quadrangle, was completely renovated and reopened in 1999. It houses state-of-the-art classrooms, computer classrooms, academic computer and other laboratories, seminar rooms, the departments of Education and Mathematics & Computer Science, the School of Business Office, and the School of Health Sciences and Education Office. Also located here are the Professional Development Office, the Regional Professional Development Center, the Small Business Technology and Development Center, Missouri Rural Enterprise and Innovation System, and the Assessment and Testing Office.

The Adair Building, located across the street from Violette Hall, houses the Multicultural Affairs Office and the McNair Program.

The University Counseling Services is located near Violette Hall on Patterson Street. Counseling Services provides individual and group counseling services and educational programs.

Pershing Building, named in honor of the distinguished Truman alumnus General John J. Pershing, houses the Health and Exercise Sciences Department Office and Athletics. The building has a large arena with three basketball courts, a one-tenth mile track, and a seating capacity of 3,000. Completed in 1976, and adjoining the Pershing Building on the south side, is the Natatorium housing a six-lane, twenty-five-yard swimming pool.  A major renovation of the Pershing Building is currently underway and should be completed in early 2011.  Some Pershing offices have been temporarily located in the Grim-Smith Building

On the southern edge of the campus, the outdoor athletic area includes Stokes Stadium, the Kenneth Gardner Track, a baseball diamond, softball field, soccer field, lighted tennis courts, and a practice field. Stokes Stadium seats 4,500 and is used for intercollegiate football games and track and field events. A new artificial turf was installed at Stokes Stadium in 2008 which also received new lighting in 2007. The Bulldog Kennels house training facilities and adjoin the stadium area.

Barnett Hall, a classroom and laboratory building, houses the Communication, Justice Systems, Society and Environment, Nursing, and Communication Disorders Departments. The addition to the original 1970 building is among the several architectural award winning buildings on campus. Additional renovations were made in 1993 to build a Speech and Hearing Clinic and the Nursing Independent Learning Center. In 2007 Barnett Hall was renovated to add student media offices, digital radio and television studios, forensics, departmental offices, and high technology classrooms and computer labs.

West of the campus is the 130-acre University Farm and observatory.

Office Locations

SCHOOL OFFICES:

School of Arts & Letters   Ophelia Parrish
School of Business Violette Hall
School of Health Sciences & Education Violette Hall
School of Sciences & Mathematics Magruder Hall
School of Social & Cultural Studies McClain Hall

 

DEPARTMENT OFFICES:

Agricultural Science   Magruder Hall
Art Ophelia Parrish
Biology Magruder Hall
Chemistry Magruder Hall
Classical & Modern Languages McClain Hall
Communication Barnett Hal
Communication Disorders Barnett Hall
Economics McClain Hall
Education Violette Hall
English & Linguistics McClain Hall
Health & Exercise Sciences Pershing Building
History McClain Hall
Interdisciplinary Studies McClain Hall
Justice Systems Barnett Hall
Mathematics & Computer Science Violette Hall
Military Science Baldwin Hall
Music Ophelia Parrish
Nursing Barnett Hall
Philosophy & Religion McClain Hall
Physics Magruder Hall
Political Science McClain Hall
Psychology McClain Hall
Society & Environment Barnett Hall
Theatre Ophelia Parrish

 

ADMINISTRATIVE & STUDENT SERVICES OFFICES:

Admission

 

Ruth Towne

Alumni/Advancement McClain Hall
Assessment & Testing Violette Hall
Athletics Grim-Smith Building
Bookstore Student Union
Business Office McClain Hall
Cashier McClain Hall
Center for International Education Kirk Building
Center for Student Involvement Student Union
Disability Services McKinney Center
Financial Aid McClain Hall
Funds Allotment Council Student Union
Gender Equity/EEO Officer McClain Hall
General Counsel McClain Hall
Graduate Office McClain Hall
ID Office Missouri Hall
Information Technology Services

McClain Hall

International Student Affairs Kirk Building
Intramurals Recreation Center
Language Learning Center McClain Hall
McNair Post-Baccalaureate Program Adair Building
Media Services Pickler Memorial Library
Multicultural Affairs Adair Building
New Student Programs Kirk Building
Payroll McClain Hall
Physical Plant Kirk Building
President’s Office McClain Hall
Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs McClain Hall
Public Relations McClain Hall
Registrar McClain Hall
Residence Life Missouri Hall
Scholastic Enhancement Experience Adair Building
SERVE Center Student Union
Sodexo Food Services Student Union
Speech & Hearing Clinic Barnett Hall
Student Accounts McClain Hall
Student Activities Board Student Union
Student Affairs Student Union
Student Health Center McKinney Center
Student Senate Student Union
Student Success Center Kirk Building
Telephone Services Pickler Memorial Library
Truman Institute Baldwin Hall
Women’s Resource Center Student Union
Writing Center   McClain Hall