Affiliation: The School of Science and Mathematics
Certificate Offered: Data Science Certificate
DATA SCIENCE CERTIFICATE
An interdisciplinary team of faculty offers a 15-credit hour graduate certificate in Data Science. Earning a Data Science Certificate prepares participants with the ability to manage, analyze, and draw conclusions from large amounts of data and to apply their findings to their fields of interest, such as science, business, government, engineering, and health care.
This program is intended for people who have a foundational understanding of computer science and computer programming or who have the requisite employment experience and an undergraduate degree to demonstrate adequate preparedness for this advanced curriculum.
To be considered for admission, students must meet the following requirements:
- Students must complete an application for Graduate Studies as a Graduate Certificate Student.
- Students must possess a baccalaureate degree from an accredited post-secondary institution (or its international equivalent).
- Students must have at least a 2.5 cumulative undergraduate GPA or demonstrate sufficient professional experience to prepare them for the proposed field of study.
- Students must complete the equivalent of STAT 190 - Basic Statistics and CS 170 - Introduction to Computer Science I before enrolling in any courses in the program. Students with workplace experience in statistics or programming may request a waiver of the pre-requisite from the Program Director.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit a copy of undergraduate and/or graduate transcripts to demonstrate sufficient preparation at the time of application. Students may not enroll beyond their second course without providing an official transcript. Transcripts not in English must be accompanied by a certified translation.
- Assessment and enforcement of student qualifications shall be at the discretion of the Dean of the School of Science and Mathematics or his/her designate.
- The language of instruction at Truman State University is English. With some exceptions, international applicants must submit language proficiency scores (TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent. Truman State’s institutional code for the TOEFL examination is 6483.)
- Students must complete all requirements of the certificate, including all required courses.
- No more than one grade of “C” may be counted toward the certificate. Grades lower than a “C” are considered failing grades. Students must earn a “B” or higher in the Capstone Course - PDAT 620G .
- Students may retake a course to raise a grade not meeting minimum program requirements.
- Students must complete all of the courses in the certificate within six years of the date of admission or matriculation in the first course, whichever comes later. Students may petition the Dean of the School of Science and Mathematics or his/her designee for a leave of absence, or an extension, should extenuating circumstances warrant.
Students currently enrolled in a Truman graduate degree program may simultaneously participate in a graduate certificate program provided they receive approval from both the graduate program advisor (or Department Chair, as applicable) and the administrator in charge of the certificate program.
Students seeking a graduate certificate are not eligible for assistantships unless they are concurrently enrolled in a master’s degree program that grants them.