Affiliation: School of Arts & Letters
Degree Offered: Bachelor of Arts
Minors Offered: Classical Studies, Greek, Latin
Classics is a field of study comprised of the languages, literature, history, philosophy, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome. The curriculum of the program is purposefully interdisciplinary and inter-departmental in nature, seeking through the participation and cooperation of many elements of the University community to provide for students as complete a view as possible of the various aspects of human life in classical antiquity. Instruction in the liberal arts has traditionally been grounded in the “Classics,” for the interdisciplinary nature of the discipline is such that students are encouraged to cultivate skills of inquiry, analysis, and communication. Consequently, the program corresponds very closely to the stated mission of Truman State University, the designated public Liberal Arts and Sciences institution for the state of Missouri.
NOTE: No grade of “D” will be accepted toward the Classics major.
DEPARTMENTAL HONORS IN CLASSICS
Seniors who wish to graduate with Honors in Classics must meet the following requirements:
- 3.50 or better overall GPA
- 3.50 or better GPA in the major
- Excellence in Greek and/or Latin languages (demonstrated by superior achievement on the local senior translation tests, a winning placement or honorable mention on a national Eta Sigma Phi contest test, or superior performance in a course such as Latin Prose Composition)
- Excellence in research (demonstrated by superior presentation of capstone, Truman Student Research Conference, or other conference or publication)
- Positive contribution to the promotion of the discipline (tutoring, Classics Club, etc.)
- Approval of non-abstaining faculty (Classical Studies Committee).