Jul 20, 2019
Affiliation: School of Arts & Letters
Degree Offered: Bachelor of Arts
Minors Offered: None
Liberal Studies Program Requirements: 31-57 Credit Hours
Missouri Statute Requirement: 1-3 Credit Hours
Bachelor of Arts Requirement: 0-6 Credit Hours
Intermediate proficiency in ONE foreign language, which is satisfied by completing the “Required Support” courses in Part I below.
The Romance Language major consists of two (2) parts: Required Support and Major Requirements. Each student must complete both parts. Pre-MAE students must also complete additional required courses.
Part I: Required Support: 24 Credit Hours
Part II: Major Requirements: 38 Credit Hours
AND one additional course from the list below:
Pre-MAE Romance Language majors must choose “Any 400-level French or Spanish course.”
- Any 400-level French or Spanish course
AND one of the two courses below:
AND electives: 9 Credit Hours
Choose 9 hours from the following courses. Pre-MAE Romance Language majors must choose from the French and Spanish courses referenced below.
Pre-MAE Only: Required Education Courses
This section only pertains to the pre-MAE Romance Language majors.
Electives to Total: 120 Credit Hours
- Romance Language majors who pass a 100- or 200-level ROML course with a “C” must contact the Romance Language Steering Committee to devise a remediation plan for that course. ROML students may not enroll in the ROML 490 Romance Language Capstone Experience course until remediation plan requirements have been met.
- No romance language course can be counted twice for the major.
- Spanish majors who double major with the Romance Language major may use SPAN 330 and SPAN 340 to fulfill Romance Language major requirements, but must complete the remainder of the Romance Language major using courses that were not used to fulfill Spanish major requirements. French majors who double major with the Romance Language may use FREN 320 and FREN 325 to fulfill Romance Language major requirements, but must complete the remainder of the Romance Language major using courses that were not used to fulfill French major requirements. Likewise, Classics majors who double major with the RLM may use no more than six hours of coursework from their Classics major to complete RLM requirements.
- Romance Language majors who wish to earn a minor in Classical Studies, French, Italian Studies, Latin, or Spanish may not count courses used to fulfill major requirements toward the minor. Fifteen additional hours of approved minor coursework are required.
- Romance Language majors are encouraged to satisfy the “Intercultural Perspective” requirement of the LSP with a course related to the major, such as a Latin American history or civilization course (HIST 390, 391, 392, SPAN 363), an Italian civilization course (ITAL 324, 325), an African history course (HIST 151, 152, 371, 372, 373), or a Classical civilization course (CLAS 362, 363).
- With approval of the romance language faculty, Romance Language majors may substitute either the Spanish or French courses listed above with equivalent offerings in Italian, Latin or Portuguese pursued in study at Truman and in study abroad programs.