The objectives of the music discipline are as follows:
• To provide programs of study of the highest quality which will enable each student to realize his/her maximum, innate scholarly and creative potential.
• To inculcate in students in all degree programs an understanding of the broad historical and cultural foundations of the art and science of music, and to encourage them to incorporate into their own lives the knowledge and aesthetic appreciation acquired through this experience.
• To prepare students for graduate study and for professional careers in music.
• To make available to the general University student opportunities for academic and creative development through instruction in humanities/general education courses and through participation in ensembles.
• To offer all members of the University community and citizens of the region and the state of Missouri cultural enrichment through the presentation of solo and ensemble performances of the highest professional caliber.
The Music Minor requires the successful completion of 18 semester hours as designated:
*Before enrolling in private lessons as a Music Minor for the first time, a student must demonstrate a minimum proficiency level by auditioning for the appropriate studio teacher(s). Enrollment in private lessons is contingent upon availability within the studio and is at the discretion of the studio teacher(s). The studio teacher(s) may request the student complete MUSI 130 Music Analysis I and/or MUSI 132 Aural Skills in Music I prior to enrolling in private lessons. The three hours of private lessons must be in a single instrument, voice, or in composition.