Jun 21, 2024  
2008-2009 General/Graduate Catalog - Expires August 2014 
    
2008-2009 General/Graduate Catalog - Expires August 2014 [Archived Catalog]

The Campus


THE CAMPUS

Carefully designed to preserve the natural beauty of the setting, the campus today provides for students, faculty, and staff a feeling of freedom combined with convenience and unity. The Truman campus maintains the advantages of a small university where students and faculty may interchange ideas informally and where academic resources are close at hand. Since the original purchase of the first ten acres on this site, the campus has expanded to over 150 acres with over 40 buildings. The older portion of the campus – the “quadrangle” situated around an open court – dates back to 1873. Even today, one leaps into the past of campus design when walking into the quadrangle, for the original Truman State University campus was based on Thomas Jefferson’s University of Virginia. While the later additions are contemporary in style, the campus buildings reflect similar aesthetic details of the Georgian style.

Pickler Memorial Library, on the western edge of the quadrangle, is named in honor of a former faculty member whose contribution made possible the erection of a library building after the original library was destroyed by fire in 1924. A 33,000-square foot air-conditioned library addition was completed in 1967, and in 1970-71 the original part of the library was remodeled. A five-year project, divided into two phases, to add new space and to remodel the existing buildings was completed in early 1993. This project was designed with flexibility in mind so that library services could easily be adapted to both current and future developments in technology. Located on the quadrangle side of the library is the beautiful Virginia Young Stanton Garden, which was dedicated in 1996.

Pickler Memorial Library currently has a book and media collection containing a half million volumes including both U.S. and Missouri Document Depositories, augmented by access to over 35,000 journals and periodicals and 1.5 million microforms. In addition to an expanding collection of books, periodicals, and microforms, and to an increasing number of online electronic information resources, the library contains several special collections donated by distinguished faculty and alumni. Along with our strong on-campus collections, the library is a member of the MOBIUS library system, which allows students and faculty to easily borrow library materials from over 60 Missouri academic institutions. For more information on the library, visit http://library.truman.edu.

Magruder Hall, built in 1955, expanded in 1968, and remodeled and expanded again in 2005, provides excellent opportunity for the interchange of scientific knowledge. Four departments (Agricultural Science, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics) are housed in Magruder Hall. Research laboratories and preparation rooms, a greenhouse chamber, and other facilities in Magruder Hall provide students scholarly interaction and research opportunities with faculty members. The 2005 renovation brought the scientists into one facility with state-of-the-art classrooms, laboratories, and technology.

Located on the southern edge of the quadrangle, the McKinney Center houses the University Career Center, the Student Health Center, and Telephone Services. Nearby is Kirk Memorial, which was dedicated in 1940 and honors John R. Kirk, president of Truman State University from 1899 to 1925. Directly in front of the building stand the Flame to the Second Century and the bronze statue of Joseph Baldwin, founder and first president of the University. The statue was dedicated in 1927 to mark the 100th anniversary of Baldwin’s birth. Immediately behind Kirk Memorial on the site of the old Baldwin Hall is the landscaped Sunken Garden graced by wooden gazebos at each end.

The Kirk Building, named in honor of Truman’s president at the turn of the 20th Century, houses the International Student Affairs Office, the Center for International Education, Upward Bound, Media Services, Physical Plant, and Publications.

The Ophelia Parrish building, home of the Art, Music, and Theatre Departments and the College of Arts and Sciences office, was at one time used as a demonstration elementary school. With renovation and expansion completed in 2002, it now contains offices, studios, classrooms, and the University Art Gallery. Included are the state-of-the-art Courtyard Theatre and beautiful Performance Hall.

Completing the quadrangle complex, the present Baldwin Hall, built in 1938 and expanded in 1958, currently houses the offices and classrooms of Military Science, the New Student Programs, and Residence Life. Classrooms and faculty offices are located on the upper floors. The 1,400-seat Baldwin Auditorium located in Baldwin Hall hosts numerous speakers and performing artists throughout the year.

Just west of Baldwin Hall and linked by a walkway is McClain Hall. Completed in 1977, this building houses most major administrative offices and the departments of Psychology, Political Science, History, English and Linguistics, Classical and Modern Languages, Economics, and Philosophy & Religion. On the third floor, classrooms, a modern language laboratory, and Writing Center are ringed by faculty and administrative offices and seminar rooms. The biofeedback psychology complex on the second floor is a resource providing facilities for research and professional/student interaction. On the first floor of this building are faculty and academic support offices and the ITS Help Desk. The Information Technology Services Office provides centralized computing for large scale research, computer instruction, online information systems, and online interactive computing capability for all interested students, faculty, and staff. Truman is committed to maintaining a computer facility that is as close to state-of-the-art as feasible.

Across the Mall from McClain Hall and graced on the east by a large fountain and benches stands the Student Union Building, completed in 1967 and which received a major renovation that was completed in 2008. Devoted to student and University activities, this building contains both large and small dining rooms, a snack bar, the Truman Bookstore, “Mainstreet Market,” the “Down Under,” a dance and entertainment area, a large activity room, a student lounge, and numerous meeting rooms.

West of McClain Hall is the Student Recreation Center, a modern facility that opened in 1998. It includes three basketball courts, a multipurpose court, an exercise and weight room, an aerobics studio, an indoor track, and more.

Violette Hall, completed in 1965 and located just south of the original quadrangle, was completely renovated and reopened in 1999. It houses state-of-the-art classrooms, computer classrooms, academic computer and other laboratories, seminar rooms, and faculty offices for Business Administration, Accounting, Education, Mathematics, and Computer Science. Also located here are the Professional Development Office, the Regional Professional Development Center, the Small Business Development Center, and the Assessment and Testing Office.

The Adair Building, located across the street from Violette Hall, houses the Multicultural Affairs Office and the McNair Program.

The University Counseling Services is located near Violette Hall on Patterson Street. Counseling Services provides individual and group counseling services and educational programs.

Pershing Building, named in honor of the distinguished Truman alumnus General John J. Pershing, houses the School of Health Sciences and Education office, the Health and Exercise Sciences Department office, and Athletics. The building has a large arena with three basketball courts, handball and racquetball courts, a one-tenth mile track, and a seating capacity of 3,000. Completed in 1976, and adjoining the Pershing Building on the south side, is the Natatorium housing a six-lane, twenty-five-yard swimming pool.  A major renovation of the Pershing Building is being designed with construction to start in 2009.

On the southern edge of the campus, the outdoor athletic area includes Stokes Stadium, the Kenneth Gardner Track, a baseball diamond, softball field, soccer field, lighted tennis courts, and a practice field. Stokes Stadium seats 4,500 and is used for intercollegiate football games and track and field events. A new artificial turf was installed at Stokes Stadium in 2008 which also received new lighting in 2007. The Bulldog Kennels house training facilities and adjoin the stadium area.

Barnett Hall, a classroom and laboratory building, houses the Communication; Justice Systems; Anthropology, Geography, and Sociology; Nursing; and Communication Disorders Departments. The addition to the original 1970 building is among the several architectural award winning buildings on campus. Additional renovations were made in 1993 to build a state-of-the-art Speech and Hearing Clinic and the Nursing Independent Learning Center. In 2007 Barnett Hall was renovated to include student media offices, digital radio and television studios, forensics, departmental offices, and state-of-the-art classrooms and computer labs.

West of the campus is the 130-acre University Farm and observatory.

Office Locations

COLLEGE AND SCHOOL OFFICES:

College of Arts and Sciences   Ophelia Parrish
School of Business Violette Hall
School of Health Sciences and Education Pershing Building

DEPARTMENT OFFICES:

Agricultural Science   Magruder Hall
Anthropology, Geography, Sociology Barnett Hall
Art Ophelia Parrish
Biology Magruder Hall
Chemistry Magruder Hall
Classical & Modern Languages McClain Hall
Communication Barnett Hal
Communication Disorders Barnett Hall
Economics McClain Hall
Education Violette Hall
English & Linguistics McClain Hall
Health & Exercise Sciences Pershing Building
History McClain Hall
Interdisciplinary Studies McClain Hall
Justice Systems Barnett Hall
Mathematics & Computer Science Violette Hall
Military Science Baldwin Hall
Music Ophelia Parrish
Nursing Barnett Hall
Philosophy & Religion McClain Hall
Physics Magruder Hall
Political Science McClain Hall
Psychology McClain Hall
Theatre Ophelia Parrish
ADMINISTRATIVE & STUDENT SERVICES OFFICES:

Admission

 

McClain Hall

Alumni/Advancement McClain Hall
Assessment & Testing Violette Hall
Athletics Pershing Building
Bookstore Student Union
Business Office McClain Hall
Cashier McClain Hall
Center for International Education Kirk Building
Center for Student Involvement Student Union
Disability Services McKinney Center
Financial Aid McClain Hall
Funds Allotment Council Student Union
Gender Equity/EEO Officer McClain Hall
General Counsel McClain Hall
Graduate Office McClain Hall
ID Office Student Union
Information Technology Services McClain Hall
International Student Affairs Kirk Building
Intramurals Recreation Center
Language Learning Center McClain Hall
McNair Post-Baccalaureate Program Adair Building
Media Services Kirk Building
Multicultural Affairs Adair Building
New Student Programs Baldwin Hall
Payroll McClain Hall
Physical Plant Kirk Building
President’s Office McClain Hall
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs McClain Hall
Public Relations McClain Hall
Registrar McClain Hall
Residence Life Baldwin Hall
Scholastic Enhancement Experience Adair Building
SERVE Center Student Union
Sodexo Food Services Student Union
Speech & Hearing Clinic Barnett Hall
Student Accounts McClain Hall
Student Activities Board Student Union
Student Affairs Student Union
Student Health Center McKinney Center
Student Senate Student Union
Telephone Services McKinney Center
Women’s Resource Center Student Union
Writing Center McClain Hall